Radiator Fan on Constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Really hope someone can help. We have just bought vw golf SR auto 1.6 2001. Bout a week ago the radiator fan started coming on even when the engine was not hot (after about 2 mins). It would stay on constantly even after engine was switched off for about half an hour. We therefore have a constantly flat battery. Now as soon as battery is charged an ignition is switched on the fan comes on, and drains the battery again!!
Someone told me to follow the top radiator hose to the engine and I would find the radiator coolant temp sensor(green) and should change it. I did this and it made not difference. Someone else said there is a sensor to the bottom right side of the radiator itself which will be the fault and should change this one. I have not changed it yet but pulled the electrical connector out of this sensor and the fan carried on going and surely doing this should stop the fan yes??...... It is driving me crazy and is so anoying ..... please please help me stop my fan
Regards
Ralf

Sponsored Links
there is normally 2 temp senders on vw- and your first port of call would be to change them after having made a prelimanary inspection of the wiring, make sure its not melted, earthing etc, after that, there is a control unit, thats the expensive bit, its normally bolted to the chassis, nearside of the vehicle, but do leave it as last resort- but i have changed loads. kind regards

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responses - No car does not have air con. Also have changed green sensor, and it made no difference. Disconnected sensor on radiator and it made no difference. Which 2 sensors do you suggest i change - thats is where are they located??

Back