Radiator Fan Running too much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Fiesta 1.3 Duratec engine. The radiator fan keeps kicking in even after a short journey.
I waited with the car idling for a few minutes this morning and the fan did not switch off but just kept running. When I took it back to the garage who fitted the new radiator he warmed the car up and the fan kicked in and then the fan switched off after a minute and he said that was what it should do.
The temp gauge stays at normal.
I am wondering if the sensor is faulty or if the engine really is running too hot.
I know where the thermostat and sensor are and I thought of changing them.
Has anyone experience of fitting them on a Fiesta?
Is it a tricky job?
Thanks
G.

Sponsored Links
When you are driving, air is pushed through the radiator, so the fan will go off. When you are at a standstill, there is no air going through the radiator, so the temp rises and the fan kicks in. I would imagine the fan would stay on until you get moving again, especially in summer. If the gauge stays roughly in the middle, I doubt there's anything to worry about.

does your car have air conditioning? if it does, turn it off to see what happens.

what year is the fiesta?

Hi Davieboy and all.
No aircon - on 52 plate 1.3 Duratec 8valve engine. Fan kicks in a lot since new rad and expansion tank.
The fan very rarely used to run on this car even in summer.
Now the first time I stop for lights etc the fan kicks in and keeps running even while I am moving.
Last couple of days I have waited for fan to stop when I have got to work or home and gave up after 5 mins of idling - fan still continues to run.
Going back to Ford garage today for diags.
Hope it goes well, from what I have been seeing on line these ECUs are prone to failure.
Seen a quote for £500 plus same amount for fitting.
G.

Sponsored Links
OhGranny, as previously discussed i appear to have exactly the same make, model, spec and age car - as far as i am aware the fan rarely runs on the vehicle, occasionally it'll run in hot weather when i pull up and turn off the engine or when set in traffic for long periods in hot weather. I left the car idling for 45mins last night looking for a leak on my cooling system and the fan eventually comes on intermittently when idling - but only stays on for about 30-60seconds at a time? It's appear to me that if its running more often and for longer than that then it certainly isn't normal?

If the rad and expansion tank have been changed, can bet your life it is an airlock in the system.
Simple way to bleed them is to remove the expansion tank cap, run the engine keeping the coolant topped right up to the brim. When the thermostat finally opens (may take 20 mins or so) coolant will overflow out of expansion tank. When this happens, turn off engine, top up coolant and job done.

Back