Radiator heat output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had delivered a stainless steel rad for my kitchen so I checked out the website on the box. The btu's and watts on the manufacturers website is nearly half of the advert on the shops website . The shop site states 7078btu's and 2075 watts tested @ delta t70 which I thought would be more than enough for my 4.6m x 3.3m kitchen with concrete floor and 2.4m ceiling. The manufacturers site states 4247 btu's and 1249watts but doesn't say what it's tested at but surely it wouldn't make that much difference to the output. I know I've been miss sold the rad due to incorrect info and could probaly get a refund or exchange but would the lesser output be sufficient to heat the room.

Sponsored Links
correct me if i'm talking rubbish but i thought that a rads specified output is stated at delta50 (which i think means a 50degree temp rise). so if your rads output is stated at delta70 does this mean at delta 50 it would have a higher stated output??

like i said if this is nonsense, ignore it :D

So at 50 degree rise which most rads seem to have their outputs measured by it would give off less btu/watts is that correct. Can anyone clear up what delta T50/T60/T70 actually means!!. I used one of those rad size calculators and it says I need 4500 btu's but doesn't say measured at delta *** so now I'm confused why dont they stick to one means of measurement.

Sponsored Links
bryan walker said:
So at 50 degree rise which most rads seem to have their outputs measured by it would give off less btu/watts is that correct. Can anyone clear up what delta T50/T60/T70 actually means!!. I used one of those rad size calculators and it says I need 4500 btu's but doesn't say measured at delta *** so now I'm confused why dont they stick to one means of measurement.

The delta T number is the difference between the temperature of the radiator and the temperature of the room. Typically, room temperature is about 20C and radiator temperatures are 70-75C maximum (possibly less on a condensing boiler setup??). So output at delta T of 50 is a more sensible measure. Delta T of 70 is ridiculous as the water would be almost boiling, and the radiator dangerously hot.

Checking Myson data, the radiator output drops by a third between T70 and T50. I suspect other radiators will be similar. Eg.

http://www.myson.co.uk/Premier_Compact_Brochure.pdf

Your kitchen is a bit bigger than mine. Mine has a 1.8kW radiator which is just about big enough. I'd prefer a bigger one as the concrete floor never gets warmer than about 16C in weather like we're having at the moment, but I don't know whether it would help much.

Thanks for that Steve useful info much clearer now. So a rad tested at T50 giving off 4247btu would give off 6582 at T70 using the conversion factor but its still not 7078 btu that is stated on the shops site so hopefully will get an exchange or refund.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back