Radiator heats ups when hot water only is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Searched wiki etc.but couldn't find any related info.

When hot water only is on, one of the upstairs radiator heats up. All other radiators remain cold. Three seperate control valves on heating system, 1 for hot water, 1 for upstairs and 1 for down stairs heating.

Radiator heats up from rad thermostat side when hot water is on. Normally this radiator heats up from the other side when the heating is on.

I can only think that this radiator is getting hot because of backflow through the system. When hot water is on the upstairs and down stairs control valves are both closed.

Any tips or help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I can only think that this radiator is getting hot because of backflow through the system. When hot water is on the upstairs and down stairs control valves are both closed.

sounds as if its been piped up wrongly :cry:

System has been working fine for 3 years and this has only just happened.

Sponsored Links
Added a new radiator downstairs and replaced the control valve on the hot water system but that was 4 weeks ago and all 3 systems were working independant of each other.

Where did you connect the new radiator in.

99% says it's the problem.

Can you do a drawing.

Have added a drawing - hope this helps. Is there a chance that there could be some backflow from the hot water circuit entering the upsatairs radiator?. Only one radiator heats up all others remain cold. Hot water enters this radiator from the thermostat side which is the opposite side when the heating is on.

//www.diynot.com/network/eltommos/albums/

I think it needs to be a tad larger.

IS this rad that gets hot in the bathroom by any chance.

I don't have details of the complete layout. All I can say is that it's only started happening 2 days ago and it was ok before, even after the changes made.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

:oops: :oops:

Have you tried putting the heating on/off a few times, it may be a stuck MV, and letting by a tad.

Check any auto by-pass valves as well.

Has the pump speed been turned or changed.

OK thanks - I will try switching on and off. Pump speed not turned or changed. Where would the MV be? Is this short for Main Valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back