Radiator hotter without TRV.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed the radiator in the front room wasn’t hot, I could hold my hand on it for aslong as I wanted to.

I removed the TRV head and now it’s crazy hot.

I then put the TRV head back on and it cools down again.

TRV is set to 5 which is the highest. I’ve pushed the pin down several times and the top of my TRV removes and I can push down on the thermostat inside.

I did notice on my TRV it has the number 73, I have my combi hot water set to 75. When I removed the TRV it went up by alot more than 2oC, if thats what the 73 means.

Any ideas as to the problem?

Sponsored Links
Turn the head upside down and turn the screw in a little bit. That will allow the valve to open more. If that doesn’t cure it, you’ll need a new head but they aren’t that much cheaper than the whole valve so may need replacing.

Upon pushing the thermostat down again a little bit of plastic dislodged from somewhere.

Not sure if that didn’t allow the thermostat inside to travel all the way up, but does seem hot now with head back on.

Tbh all the radiators need changing but a bigger job than needed as my radiators arnt metric or imperial which is odd as its a 2000 build property :eek:

Sponsored Links
The radiator in the front room is 57.5” long and 16.5” high.

They look like the Myson imperial radiators but don’t have them in that size, so could be another brand but the .5” measurement is strange to me.

I’ll be changing for metric radiators at some point and extend or decrease the pipework on one side, but might look a little odd unless both sides are done as it won’t be bang smack in the middle under the windows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back