TRV position on Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How critical is it to have the TRV on the supply to the radiator. Have just checked all the rad's and two of them were cold. Removed the head on the TRV and pushed the pin a few times and it freed up the valve. On one of the radiators it wasn't getting warm about the TRV valve but it was at the balancing/return valve. It appears that the TRV is on the wrong side of the radiator or more importantly the supply is on the wrong side. I know that the trv is used to control the radiator. In this case it just shuts off the return as opposed the supply.
Anyone see much of a big deal with this?????

Sponsored Links
Depends on which type of TRV you have fitted, some are "Reversible" which means that they can be fitted in any orientation with no problems, however older ones have to be fitted so that it it is on the flow, they usually have an arrow cast into the body to indicate the direction of flow.
failure to install the latter type correctly, can result in a very LOUD KNOCKING NOISE from the radiator as the valve trys to close and the seat satrs to bounce1 (try and put the plug into the bath tub whilst the water is draining away, and you will see the problem!) ;)

Most modern trvs are bidirectional which means you can stick them either side. Some are not, in which case they won't work properly if at all.
From experience, I prefer them all on the same side as some bidirectional valves react a bit different on the return side.
Some trv's are more prone than others to getting stuck due to dirt in the system.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. The house is of 2002 build, only in it a few months. Does look like it is the only one with the TRV on the return. Directional arrows on the TRV show either way for flow. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Again, Thanks much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back