TRV closing almost fully even on max

That's a strange on as the trv valve itself isn't complicated and there's very little to go wrong. Is it the TYRV end or the lockshield end of the rad that heats up first from cold?
Trv end.
They've all been fitted on the flow side as per radiator manufacturer instructions.
I checked cold and hot length of the pin with the caliper and it's the same.
It doesn't expand.
I really don't understand what's wrong.
I am keeping the head screwed in just a little so not to engage with the pin.
This way it works but to set the temperature I have to hold it and then twist the dial.
Works fine with temperature.
I set it at 4 and shuts the radiator when temperature in the room is at around 19 degrees, same as before.

Sponsored Links
Were the Actuator Head & TRV supplied as a set from new?.
Setting 4 on all mine certainly would,t shut off the TRV at 19C, setting 2.5/2.8 will maintain ~ 20/21C. Here is a setting index I found somewhere which isn't too far out.

Attachments

• TRV Setting Index..JPG
    TRV Setting Index..JPG
    10 KB · Views: 35
Setting 4 on all mine certainly would,t shut off the TRV at 19C, setting 2.5/2.8 will maintain ~ 20/21C. Here is a setting index I found somewhere which isn't too far out.
I would say when I used old type liquid heads I got same results. When I first started to read the thread I thought may as well fit an electronic head, but is seems uncertain if head or valve.

The valve is rather simple TRV-diagram.jpg so faults tend to be leaking or pin sized, not much else to go wrong. The heads I paid £15 for these eQ-3 EQ-3 Bluetooth Smart Radiator Thermostat.jpgin 2019, and they auto measure the pin travel and show F1, F2, F3 is shown if travel tight (sluggish), too much travel, or too little travel, and they exercise the valve at midday Saturday so should never stick, batteries last about 2 years, but I change every year to be sure. The Terrier i30 is I think similar, they do not link to wall thermostat, but do show temperature in °C and can be set as pairs where two radiators in the same room, and have the window open detect built in so can be set to switch off if there is a sudden drop in temperature. It says window open detect, but clearly does the same when door is opened, so turns off kitchen radiator while we unload the car.

At £70 odd per pair I was not so keen to get more of the expensive Energenie TRV's just as well as it seems they don't any longer work with Nest, but at £15 each for the Bluetooth version it seemed better to use electronic heads.

However the Energenie heads which were far more expensive did not show if pin not moving, the cheaper heads seem to do more, OK cheap heads do not have geofencing, but I never used that anyway. The more expensive claimed to have two thermocouples one for air and one for water to compensate for heat direct from radiator, however have not noticed any difference in performance. Only advantage of the more expensive is I can monitor room temperature when away from home, and in the summer switch on AC before starting to drive home if room too hot. The Energenie have the option of changing spacers, which is rather pointless, as no way to knowing if pin has not opened or closed fully.

When I first fitted electronic TRV's I realised how important the setting of the lock shield was, but being able to direct the hot water to different rooms through the day as we move around the house clearly saves money.

Sponsored Links
Yes, valve body and head came together in original drayton box.
I have them on other radiators but only this one acts like this.
It seems the pin has grown!
Temporarily I have not screwed the head fully and it works fine.
I might just leave it as it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back