Radiator not heating up on one side

Fair enough, however was the TRV crown always on the right hand side? Those kind of rads often have baffles but that is often a flow/return issue. TRVs seem to be less concerned about the direction of flow these days.

I am not a plumber, but.. yeah, when the pin is fully up, the valve should be open. Have you run the rad with both pins fully up?

The following might be worth while watching

Best of luck
Yup running all morning with both pins fully open and still cold on one side.

When I was bleeding it I stopped once a solid stream of water was coming out. Is it worth trying to bleed it again for 30 seconds or a minute or so to see if some trapped air is just struggling to get out? Can't see why that would be the case but worth a shot?

Sponsored Links
Yup running all morning with both pins fully open and still cold on one side.

When I was bleeding it I stopped once a solid stream of water was coming out. Is it worth trying to bleed it again for 30 seconds or a minute or so to see if some trapped air is just struggling to get out? Can't see why that would be the case but worth a shot?
Are you on a gravity fed system or pressurised?

At a guess, you could completely close the "lock shield" side and loosen the nut to the rad (slightly) to see if there is air stuck in there. Open an bin bag and use it to collect any water. I often use bin bags to drain down rads.

Are you on a gravity fed system or pressurised?

At a guess, you could completely close the "lock shield" side and loosen the nut to the rad (slightly) to see if there is air stuck in there. Open an bin bag and use it to collect any water. I often use bin bags to drain down rads.
Pressurised I think - combi boiler and no hot water tanks.

Have you tried turning all other rads off except that one to try to push any air locks through? Have you topped up the system pressure after refitting and bleeding the rad?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried turning all other rads off except that one to try to push any air locks through? Have you topped up the system pressure after refitting and bleeding the rad?
All other radiators are off and yup, pressure topped up after bleeding.

Give the valve on the cold side of the rad a few taps with a spanner .
When you had the rad off the wall did you cap the valves off ?.

Am now away for a few days so will try this when I get back. Taps on the side of the valve?

And to your other question - I don't know. Only just bought the house and the work was done by the previous owners.

Just looked at the picture of your radiator .
Are you sure its pipped up correctly ,some column rads need the flow on the left hand side as there is a baffle inside ,there may be
an arrow on back to show flow direction.

Are you sure its pipped up correctly ,some column rads need the flow on the left hand side as there is a baffle inside ,there may be
I just got back today and tapped the side - no joy. But I can't see any arrows on the back. Where abouts would I see them?

Sorry just thinking about this more I have another column radiator that is identical to this one that works fine and the valves are the same way round.

Edit: unless the flow and return pipes are themselves the other way round and the valves have been fitted incorrectly.

Your valves are bi-directional so doesn't matter what side they are on.
Is the flow on the same side as the radiator that works ?.
Usually a label with an arrow on it to show flow direction on back of rad.

Your valves are bi-directional so doesn't matter what side they are on.
Is the flow on the same side as the radiator that works ?.
Usually a label with an arrow on it to show flow direction on back of rad.
Can't see a label, sorry. Is it a sticker or something beveled or engraved on? If a sticker it is probably long gone.

Yes usually a sticker.
Might be best to close the rad off and drain it down then open valves individually to see if they are working .

Yes usually a sticker.
Might be best to close the rad off and drain it down then open valves individually to see if they are working .
OK it has defeated me - got a plumber coming on Tuesday :) if anyone is interested I can update this thread with what the problem is, assuming the plumber is able to figure it out lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back