Radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Moved into new house and one of the new radiator in bathroom is not working. All the other radiators in the house are working. This is the only new one and all others are old.

I must confess that I am also not sure how to check it as it’s new one. Can someone please help where to start checking these new radiators

Attachments

• 4C7634CE-B24C-4E5F-9EAD-5278BA36C8C9.jpeg
    4C7634CE-B24C-4E5F-9EAD-5278BA36C8C9.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 44
  • B29EAFBB-7A81-4FFA-A308-1C93063DFA39.jpeg
    B29EAFBB-7A81-4FFA-A308-1C93063DFA39.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
On the left hand side pop the chrome cover off and check the valve is open.

It will look like this
shut.jpg

Use pliers to unscrew the valve (the brass flat piece) - you may also need to bleed the radiator

On the left hand side pop the chrome cover off and check the valve is open.

It will look like this
shut.jpg

Use pliers to unscrew the valve (the brass flat piece) - you may also need to bleed the radiator
Thanks for your reply but the left side cover doesnt come up. I have tried very hard but no luck. I can only turn it right or left. Also i have bleed the radiators but still not working

1. If the radiator has a thermostatic radiator valve (TRV) it is possible that the pin which operates it is stuck. The TRV will have a larger head than the other valve, with numbers or symbols on it. Remove the head, usually by undoing a knurled locking ring, but there are variations. Push the pin down with something like a coin. It should give a few mm, and then pop back up, slowly. If it doesn't come back up it is stuck in the closed position. They can sometime be eased out by rotating the pin. Don't try and pull it up, some of them come out and will leave an ongoing leak.
2. The radiator may be on the hot water circuit rather than central heating (not if its a combi boiler). Try turning the heating off, turn the hot water on to heat and see if the radiator warms up.

Sponsored Links
the hex nut in the centre of the rad valve is screwed all the way in and is therefor the rad is off. Unscrew it a few turns

1. If the radiator has a thermostatic radiator valve (TRV) it is possible that the pin which operates it is stuck. The TRV will have a larger head than the other valve, with numbers or symbols on it. Remove the head, usually by undoing a knurled locking ring, but there are variations. Push the pin down with something like a coin. It should give a few mm, and then pop back up, slowly. If it doesn't come back up it is stuck in the closed position. They can sometime be eased out by rotating the pin. Don't try and pull it up, some of them come out and will leave an ongoing leak.
2. The radiator may be on the hot water circuit rather than central heating (not if its a combi boiler). Try turning the heating off, turn the hot water on to heat and see if the radiator warms up.
Bingo. It is on Hot water. Working now after unscrewring the hex nut and turning on the heating. Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back