Radiator on Combi System - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps,

First time on DIYnot.com so please stick with me, I had a combi fitted a while back but now want to change a radiator for a bigger one, how do I go about taking the rad off i.e stop the water flow, I might have to extend the pipe work as the current rad is 1750 wide and I can only find an 1800mm to replace it.

Any help would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
The gap should be fine as it's only 10mm you'll probably be able to pull the pipes; or get yourself a pair of rad tail extensions.

Simply turn off both the valves on the rad you will be removing; use a flat tray like a decorators tray, or my fav a cat litter tray (They hold more water) and place it under one of the valves; undo the nut and allow the water to drain out; when it stops or slows to a trickle; open up the bleed point to get rid of the rest of the water in the rad.

Once emptied; close the bleed valve, undo both the nuts fully... Lift the rad off of it's brackets and flip it upside down; remove the two tail pieces (Which will now be at the top and are the bits where the nuts will be connected onto) carry it outside and dispose of it at a metal recyclers - Not in the dustman's truck; this is just wasteful....

Unpack your new rad; fit it's accessories; and install your old tails into the new rad; try and keep them at the same ends as they used to be to ensure a nice seal; use plenty of multi-wrap (White cassette) PTFE on the threads; I find the single wrap (Yellow cassette) doesn't sit as nicely in the threads...

Hang the new rad on it's brackets (You may need to change the brackets; you may not if you're very lucky)... Connect the rad valves onto the new rad and tighten them - Do not use excessive pressure; it's just not needed).... Open up one rad valve to allow water to enter the radiator; check for leaks and adjust as needed... Then open the bleed point and vent the rad...

Open up the other end and return them both to their original positions (So you don't have to re-balance... Minor adjustments may still be required as this is a larger rad)...

Check the rad is heating up nicely - You may need to top up your boiler as it is a combi ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back