Tall radiators?

28 Apr 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'd like to replace a radiator in our bathroom for a slightly bigger one as the room is quite cold. The current rad is type 21 (two panels, one big convector) 700mm high and 400mm wide. I can't fit a wider rad than 400mm.
Looking at rads of similar sizes I think that this one should give about 2000-2500BTUs.
I'm trying to find a taller rad with a maximum width of 400mm, but 700mm seems to be the highest that's widely available. I found vertical/column and designer rads which are 380mm wide and up-to 1800mm tall but they are quite expensive (£200+) and none of them is convecting.

My questions are:
Is it possible to buy a "normal" panel convecting rad which is higher than 700mm? If not, will a non-convecting rad give twice as much heat if its BTU is two times higher comparing to a convecting rad?

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
All rads convect. In fact they convect a hell of am lot more than they radiate.

Do you mean finned versus un-finned?

Fins give approximately 30% more output for a given read size.

700 is your limit for normal horizontal rads.

Vertical rads are the same, but with the mounting arrangement turned 90° and the price hoiked Up accordingly.

Serves you right for having a dinky bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Afraid so.... towel rails are shoite. So you need a real read to push out the kw's .

Loathe though I am, to suggest it, but maybe electric Underfloor heating to augment the rads on the coldest days?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local