Radiator options- Relocate, Remove or replace with Electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently planning on re doing the kitchen and part of it involves removing a non supporting wall.

At present there is a radiator fitted to the wall that im planning to remove.

when the wall goes the rad will either need to be relocated or removed so im considering the following options:

1 Getting the radiator removed and capped off. Then fitting an electric one on the adjacent wall

2 – Relocating the current rad to the adjacent wall so it remains on the CH circuit. ( this would require chasing out the floor and re routing pipe work which i reckon would be about 3-4 metres to relocate the rad)

The existing pipe work is 10mm set in concrete so either option would require some amount of digging up and /or chasing of the floor depending on what I choose to.

Im looking for some opinions on the benefits and drawbacks of each approach to help me decide on what the most suitable and cost effective approach would be.

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
Personally I would relocate the existing radiator every time and keep a full central heating system. Partial central heating systems can put buyers off should you ever want to sell. The cost of electricity is about 3 times that of gas to provide the same amount of heat. You will also have a second time control system to set / adjust just for the kitchen. Although that may be an advantage depending on how much / often you heat the kitchen.

Have you considered a plinth heater? That may, or may not be more convenient depending upon your kitchen layout. Wet versions are available that connect to the radiator circuit, only the fan operates electrically. They can be controlled from a wired thermostat, or some come with a wireless thermostat option.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the reply!
Regarding the plinth heater...i didnt even know there was such a thing.

This sounds ideal to plumb into the existing heating circuit without the need to go digging anything up.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back