radiator or towel heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes I may be a little thick here but whats the difference heating wise? do towel heaters still give out heat like a radiator and do they give out the same heat?

Reason I am asking is that I have just moved house. rest of house is toasty but the bathroom is so cold that the door has swollen! it does have a dual aspect window and walls cannot be insulated . The really lovely tiny towel radiator is 350mm x about 400high and the room is absolutely freezing. i have googled towel radiators to possibly get a bigger one but as limited to 350 wide there are not a great deal to choose from and their heat output seems to vary

Sponsored Links
Towel rails are towel warmers and are not designed to heat s room. It sounds as though you could do with a radiator, or combined towel rail and radiator.

For a given physical size a towel rail will give out less heat than a normal rad, whether that is enough to heat the room depends on the room, house construction and size of the rad. I've put a new one 600x1750 one in the bathroom refit that is enough to heat that room.

You should be able to get a 1500 to 1800 high rad for the space - how much flexibility on width do you have. But you really need to do a heat calc for the room so you know how much heat you need.

Othwerwise you probably need to replace it with standard rad and then maybe mount a towel rail above that, or look for a combined towel rad and normal rad.

Or boost the heating with electric heating - maybe a wall mounted fan heater.

thanks for the replies. I went onto a site to calculate the BTU? and the fact I have two windows one of which is north facing came up with a figure in the 1500's. no idea what my little one is but as its tiny it must only b about 4-500. I am getting someone to come in to have a look at replacing my boiler so will speak to him I think. thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back