Radiator pipe hitting joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a radiator under a window. However were the pipe leave the radiator valve vertical. It hits the joist that runs horizontal to the radiator pipe tight up to the wall. Would I have to notch the joist/ solder an elbow up out of place to pipe this up? Thanks

Sponsored Links
OP,
No heating flow or return pipe should touch any joist - all pipework should be clipped thereby making the pipework stand-off any joist etc.
If heating pipes touch joists, esp at bends, there's a chance of getting "ticking" & "groaning" as the pipes expand and contract .
Flow & Return pipes should be kept apart by the clips. There are clips to centre pipe stubs thro holes eg in flooring.
See Talon hinged clips & various Talon clips at the screwfix shop.

the pipe leave the radiator valve vertical. It hits the joist that runs horizontal to the radiator pipe
I presume you mean there is a joist running parallel to the wall that the rads on and it's tight to that wall so when the feeds drop down from the valve to the floor the joist is in the way?

(edit) If so - the trick is to either cut an angled notch in the joist and then bend the pipe as it comes out the floor so it then goes vertical. Or if you have nice fat joists you would get away with a soldered elbow sitting in a suitably sized notch.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would report it.....

Surely thats bullying?

A radiator pipe hitting a joist is a sad sight to see. What is the world coming to!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back