Supporting heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had a radiator moved to allow for the fitting of french doors (radiator was under window where French doors are now).

A plumber moved the radiator and radiator heating pipes to one side. While working under the floor shortly after I found the pipes were unsupported (other than where the valves attach to radiator).

I called the plumber back and asked if the copper heating pipes should be supporting their own weight. I was told it shouldn't cause any problems and that's how the pipes were previous to the rad move i.e. unsupported (which is how they were). I doubt the plumber will do any further as the piping wasn't supported in the first place.

From past experience of seeing heating pipes fitted by other plumbers I'm of the opinion these pipes should either be resting on a notch in joists or clipped to the joists with pipe clips (allowing for pipe expansion and contraction).

My question is, whats the best way to support these pipes? One of the pipes to the rad is approx 3" below the joists and the other is 6" below the joists, so clipping them to the joist is not an option. Re-running through notches in the joists also isn't an option as I don't fancy draining the system down and have never attempted pipe work before ;) .

I was considering using some small sawn timber to screw to the underneath of the joists to form a support for the pipes to rest on. Is there any other method of doing this?

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
If you cut the new timber supports very slightly too long, then you could gently tap them in place without the need for screws.

Don't forget to cover the pipe at point of contact with the wood support to eliminate the expansion creaking noises as it warms up and cools. Some thin insulation would do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back