Pipe hanger / joist clip ??

Hmmm! Plastic!! Hmmm!

A whole different can of worms again.

The place I'm quoting on right now has loads of plastic surface mounted [ and unmounted ] pipework in 2 bathrooms - all very Heath Robinson..... All looks discoloured and weeps at 2 elbows and a tee. The new householder wants copper for all the new stuff. I daren't tell 'em that their central heating has plastic some too.

Of course, there's no telling who has and how, the joints have been tampered with. Some I removed already, had no liners and weren't clean cuts to the pipe - oddly though 1 weeping elbow was both lined, cut clean and was also fairly well stick together.

I'm sure this stuff is well discussed elsewhere in the forum - if not then maybe a new topic. Have to say, my twopenny's worth is I'll take it on advisement and right now I use it for temporary stuff, drain rods [yeah, works a treat with a hose attached] and where the punter wants it.

Sponsored Links
If your altering the structural integrity of an item you are repsonsible for your actions and should know the effect it may cause.just because an out of date guidence book told you you can notch in certain area doesn't actually mean that under modern building practices you can.

New build is drill only,you'd be removed of any site in this area for attempting to butcher a joist to create a notch regardless of where you put it.

Have a quick think to your self,apart from gas which even new build is 9 out of times external when was the last full copper install you did(new build) ,apart from speed why else do they use plastic(cos it ain't cheaper).

It can't be out of date, it's the latest version of the building regs, which as far as I'm concerned with only become out of date when they release a new version. As and when that happens, I will alter my practises accordingly, but for the moment the latest version is the up to date version.

I do not 'butcher' joists, I cut neat accurate notches to the precise depth required (if you must know, I use a router with the correct size bit in it for the pipe I need to notch out for, and use a depth stop to ensure every joist is notched cleanly, accurately and to the same depth)

The only time the company I presently work for ever uses plastic is in underfloor heating. Everything else is done in copper, so in answer to the question of when I last did a new build full copper install, I'm in the process of doing one at the moment, second fix started last week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back