Copper pipe support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a long horizontal run of copper pipe in my house in a cavity floor, parallel to the joist but not near it. It is not supported at all, and probably runs for 3m. I imagine its been that way for 25 years or more, but I don't have an exact date when the downstairs wc was added that it supplies.

Should I add some support? How might I go about it? I gather it isn't a brilliant idea to clip it to a joist noggin, as movement in the timber could put pressure on the pipe joints. I could run a piece of timber under the pipes and then use some kind of pipe hanger? There's not enough clearance to run timber across the top of the pipe, they're quite close to the underside of the floor.

Sponsored Links
Most pipework underfloor is bodged...if you're worried stick a noggin under the pipe and staple some hairfelt lagging between it and the pipe to avoid noise.

If the pipe can be lifted and run alongside the joist without any pressure then just use nail clips, pipe clips will allow the pipe some movement as the wood breathes so don't worry about that. If not then I'm sure it will be fine if it's been there for 25yrs.

Thanks guys. I can't move the pipe easily as part of the length is within the cavity of a finished room, and its nowhere near the joist. I'll give the noggin / lagging idea a spin.

Sponsored Links
Clips really?...I've seen too many joint fractures from tight pipework with no allowance for expansion..copper expands a mm per meter.

It's normal for long unsupported lengths of copper under a floor... You get this when fishing a length under a floor which you don't want to have to pull up in its entirety... You lift 2 or 3 boards at each end and feed the tube under the floor... You can always use short lengths of electrical cores to tie it up to a nail or screw along its length if you so desire (y)

yes .... clips really .... I've seen too many fractures at joints from pipes that haven't been properly supported and the weight has bent the pipe or they've hammered their way to destruction. Clips aren't that tight on the pipe that they won't allow the pipe to move/expand.

Hence when learning the ropes there is a standard distance for clipping pipes to avoid sagging, hammer and too much stress being placed on joints by the weight of the pipe.

Galvy banding is a favourite of mine to do that

Same here, especially for soil pipe. I was just trying to suggest what your average householder might have to hand, and me when in a tight spot ;)

Just to be clear on the specifics of tying it up... what would it be tied to exactly? Span the wire between 2 joists and pin to both? I wouldn't want to tie it up to the underside of a board, as if anybody lifts that board they'd take the pipe with it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back