Running & concealing pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to run some pipes in a suspended timber floor (depth of joists approx 200mm+).

I've read in my plumbing book that the notches should be made no closer to the joist supports than 0.07 times the span on the joists. or further than a quarter of the length of the joist away.. I don't understand this...

The joists sit into the wall (this is a Victorian house) so are these supports?

A friend has told me to run the pipes as close to the wall as possible, and I have four pipes to run (flow and return for the central heating), and directly hot and cold to appliances.

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thanks chap.

Do you think I could get away with running four pipes like this side by side ? Or running them in pairs exactly as indicated in the diagram ?

My next question is as I am using speedfit plastic pipe below the floor how do I cope with the elbows? As these are big chunky things

I want them to be clipped properly but it appears one will have to run out much beyond the other at right angles and will be difficult to clip

Thanks chap.

Do you think I could get away with running four pipes like this side by side ? Or running them in pairs exactly as indicated in the diagram ?

My next question is as I am using speedfit plastic pipe below the floor how do I cope with the elbows? As these are big chunky things

I want them to be clipped properly but it appears one will have to run out much beyond the other at right angles and will be difficult to clip

You drill holes for speedfit thats the point of it being flexiable

Sponsored Links
Just follow the diagram just to comply, thats problem with plastics they are bulky, you can use compression fittings and dont forget a plastic cutter and inserts

Anything else I should know?

Going to do the radiators myself by the way.. anyone suggest a good and useful BTU calculator that they use themselves ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back