Gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a corgi guy coming on friday to connect my boiler to a newly-moved gas meter.

Helpfully, I've just discovererd that the builder has laid an unprotected copper pipe in a concrete floor, as the proposed gas connection. I'm pretty sure it's unsuitable and that we'll have to use something else, so am trying to find regulations about where gas pipe can be run, so I can suggest some ideas - and hopefully avoid wasting too much time on-site figuring out a solution.

Can anyone suggest a link?

There's a gap of about 3cm between the top of the external brick wall and the joists of the floor above (the walls are 1 course of bricks thicker for some reason). The joists are on hangers, so not resting on this 1 course of bricks. When the ceiling goes up, the plasterboard will basically close the gap off. Is that space suitable for the pipe? Would it require any additional protection? Basically, it would be vulnerable to a nail positioned exactly at the edge between ceiling and wall angled at 45 degrees.

Failing that, it's some tricky drilling requiring notching a joist under a partition wall...

Thanks!!

Miles

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the builder will be digging the floor up and making a duct, for the Gassafe Registered engineer to do his/her job properly.

If he shows you a Corgi card, chuck him/her out. :LOL:

Gas pipe may be undersized, might have unsuitable joints in it and should have been protected from corrosion so unsuitable on any of those counts.

Its difficult for me to undestand whats required but I would have thought your CORGI is the person to ask if you could post a photo here it might become clearer.

Tony

DIA, whats wrong with a CORGI card?

I pay them about £115 a year to be a member of CORGI and they have sent me a few jobs.

In fact when I looked at all the members in NW London all the usual local gas people seemed to have all signed up as well. I was far less exclusive than I had expected!

Tony

Sponsored Links
DIA, whats wrong with a CORGI card?

I pay them about £115 a year to be a member of CORGI and they have sent me a few jobs.

In fact when I looked at all the members in NW London all the usual local gas people seemed to have all signed up as well. I was far less exclusive than I had expected!

Tony

Corgi mean diddly squat as Kev would say. they do not hold the gas register, and All Gas Operatives must be Gassafe Registered if they ain't they are illegal cowboys.

The gaspipe in the concrete is most certainly unsuitable as it was not installed by a RGI.
You can not run gaspipe in a wall unless it meets criteria for gasducting.
Only a RGI will be able to tell you where the gaspipe can go, after having seen the location/site; too many rules and regs to be able to give you advice from behind a keyboard.
Apart from: if it stays visible/inspectable, it can go almost anywhere you want.

Good your on corgi site Agile , strange your not on the gassafe site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back