Routing 28mm Gas Pipe Through 7 Inch Joists

Sponsored Links
I think there should be some provision in the poster's details section on each post to inform readers of the qualifications (or lack of) of the Author.

It's not always apparent to the reader, who is actually qualified to give advice on matters, and could lead to confusion for someone unsure/unaware.
Yes totally agreed, I often get involved in discussions forgetting that it's not clear what my background/experience is.
Sometimes I remember to write it in after my post but it should be automatic and would make the forum much smoother.

To be fair I’ve had dealings with a lot of qualified Gas guys that seem dead set on just reading a paragraph of an approved document and quoting that as it suits their judgement. Rather than read the document as a whole and actually coming up with the correct answer.

+1 for no ventilation needed in this situation.

Sponsored Links
Interestingly (perhaps), a false ceiling is a different matter.

We've just done one where Gastite was use instead of Tracpipe in a false ceiling and that was deemed to need ventilation after reading the standards.

But seeing as Bernie likes a bit of research:

SmartSelectImage_2018-02-23-17-55-31.jpg

This is from the standards we have to work from.

I know you're not supposed to give advice on gas matters on this forum does that include posting actual regs on here aswel? Bob

Interestingly (perhaps), a false ceiling is a different matter.

We've just done one where Gastite was use instead of Tracpipe in a false ceiling and that was deemed to need ventilation after reading the standards.

Still quite strict with regards to tracpipe as a pipe in pipe - no cuts / damage throughout its length.

Would deffo advise pictures being taken to prove condition / integrity at point of install

Just in case the ventilation void police get their claws out.

This question is for advance planning and interest only, gas pipes will be installed by a gas safe registered contractor when the time comes and I'm sure he/she will also know the answer! Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/routing-28mm-gas-pipe-through-7-inch-joists.498086/#ixzz57yHAgpCa

tbh if you are using a rgi then you don't need the information. Any replies that help you install this pipe are breaching forum rules.

From the replies (despite the arguments) you could be installing this pipe yourself
Even tho you say you are not......

=======================================
So far wr don't think it has crossed the line.
Mod
=======================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't check this for a while but thanks, good to see some details and regulations on this! Indeed taking some photos before it gets covered up sounds like a good plan also.

It is really helpful to know all this before hiring someone to do the job. So far I was only told it should to be routed just above the ground around the outside of the house in copper, which involves going through a fence, through my neighbours garden, through a wall and under my back door with much potential to be trodden on by a whole variety of people. Professional as that opinion was and I'm sure it would all be fine, it's not what I want done. Now I might go and find someone who is experienced with trac pipe for example and have it done like that. Finding out about laws and regulations which apply to your building project seems legal and reasonable to me. And I won't be left arguing with someone afterwards because I don't like the way something was done on the day. However, I'm sure you don't all want my life story!! Thanks for the info :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back