Radiator pipe runs - how to support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm moving a radiator across a downstairs room.

The floor is wood boards on wooden joists with large air gap underneath.

The pipes to the rad are presently resting on old bits of brick - which doesn't seem right.

I need to run about 3m of pipe to each end.

How should these be supported? (Pushing bits of brick into position will be much easier than having to lift more boards to fix clips. Are there clips that are easy to fix when working upside down at full stretch?!)

Should the pipes be lagged?

The pipes to the present rad position come through an air gap in a supporting wall - and are already curving upward to the radiator position.
I don't really want to have to lift the carpet and boards in the next room to get at these pipes where they are straight. Is there a way of joining to a curved section of pipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter too much how they're supported - keep cement away from pipe with insulation which you definitely should have - huge losses fom pipe otherwise. Use the porper stuff, 25mm insulation for a 15mm
pipe.

Easiest clips to use are nail-in but then insln is hard. You can use cable slings under the pipes, nail cable into joist.

Probably easiest to make joint on the vertical bit of the pipe with a bend in the new bit and a couple of elbows where the upturned ends are parallel. Support 15mm pipe every 1.5m.

Hi Chris

Thanks for tips.

Are 'cable slings' some proprietary item? Or am I guessing right that you mean the cheap and cheerful, loop back through themselves, locking ties for bundling cables together?

I can see how these would go around the pipe and insulation - and I could nail / staple the free end to the joists.

Cheers
Bornloser

Sponsored Links
Try perforated galvanized steel strap - sold in rolls at any plumber merchants

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back