radiator pipe leaking...piece of mind? HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lad decided to stand on his radiator to climb up to a shelf , he has snapped one of the brackets off the wall holding the rad to the wall .

Now there is a heavy leak just under the floorboards , so i presume he's kinked the pipe.

Due to not being able to get sorted til weekend ...work work work etc .

Will this stop the leak for now ?

I have turned off both valves , the temperature valve and the other side (where the leak is ) ...radiator now cold and so is the pipe where the split is.

May sound thick this but does the water feed only go in one direction and will it do any harm with both valves shut ?

Most importantly will the leak stop , i need to move all the bedroom round when i get chance so i can get the floorboard up

Sponsored Links
Turning the rad off wont stop the leak,
If the heating is from a combi boiler then you will have lost pressure so the leak will have stopped our slowed down, which means you'l have no heating

Yeah its a combi boiler , shut both valves off , rest of rads in house still working , have i stopped a flow going through the pipe switching the valves off or will it still leak

Bluemoon

The kink is just about level with the floorboard , anyone know what cost would be to fit rad back on wall and repair the pipe

Sponsored Links
The job itself is simple--the cost is in travel etc etc. Phone around and get estimates.
Consider DIY?
Is this a split pipe at the "kink" or a leak from the rad valve joint? If the former, the damaged section of pipe needs replacing, so that the burst can be rectified.
Can you get access to work on the split area, either by lifting the floorboards or (gently) pulling the pipe.

Couple of questions first :)
(1) is the pipe 10mm copper or 15mm??
(2) is it your own property/ and would you be paying or would it be a landlord.
(3) where in Manchester do you live.

(4) If the rest of the heating is working ok ? and the leak as stopped whats the pressure guage reading on the boiler
(5) whats the make and model of the boiler and where is it located.

Thanks Ron

Couple of questions first :)
(1) is the pipe 10mm copper or 15mm??
(2) is it your own property/ and would you be paying or would it be a landlord.
(3) where in Manchester do you live.

(4) If the rest of the heating is working ok ? and the leak as stopped whats the pressure guage reading on the boiler
(5) whats the make and model of the boiler and where is it located.

Thanks Ron

1 = 10mm
2= my own property , i will be paying.
3= denton near stockport
4 rest ok , to be honest think its been leaking a while and only just noticed as doing the room up.
5 . guage as been rising on ravenheat boiler , reduced by bleeding.
boilers in kitchen

When you say guage has been rising, well thats a different issue all together

going from the description you've given and provinding you can get to the pipe (if its at floor level it could be tricky) I would say approx £75 for labour and materials should cover (not set in stone)
If you want it doing email me
Cheers Ron

when would you be able to do mate , tied up next cpl days with work

Not a problem my son is just down the motorway at Heaton park so when ever, Sat is not a problem
cheers

Right compheat thanks. looks like its just leaking from the valve , no more water going into rad , so should be ok for now. Im going to strip the room , as this was on the agenda anyway ...so looking at probably a week saturday , daft question do you do any plastering as need a bit doing in the same room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back