Radiator Pipes Cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newcomer here, great web site by the way.

Problem I have is that one of the radiators in my house is stone cold. I know this is a subject which has been covered on other topics in the forums, but both the pipes (in and out) are also stone cold. The radiator in question has a Thermostatic Valve fitted, and is the very last radiator in the downstairs circuit. Has always worked really well, although last night decided not to play.

If I remember correctly, the pipes to this radiator run along the back of the skirting against an outside facing wall, although another radiator in the same room is teed-off the same pipes earlier in the circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
beejco

Sponsored Links
It could be that because of the very cold weather, all of the other radiators TRV's were fully open taking all of the flow so there was no water left for the last one. Try turning some of the others off for a while to see if it pushes water through to the last one. If it does get warm when you do this, the system will probably need balancing.

Or is it possible that one of the pipes to the last radiator has frozen somewhere? It's unusual for pipes to radiators to do this when the radiators are used frequently, but it could happen in extreme circumstances.

Build up of air in a radiator can also cause this, but that is usually a gradual process, it doesn't happen overnight.

Some TRV's have been known to stick shut too.

Hi, thanks for replying.

All working now. The TRV was working fine, with the pin moving freely.

Not sure what cured the problem, but by increasing the system pressure (as it was down by 0.35bar), switching off the other radiators to increase the line pressure to the problem radiator, and closing then opening the lock shield, the radiator burst into life.

Now with all the radiators open, all is working perfectly.

Personally, I think it was a piece of ice in the line, as the room was left without heat for most of the day, when the temp hit -12.

Thanks,
beejco :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back