Radiator pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an old rad with a new one. The existing one has two identical very old looking lockshield valves on either side. There is very limited pipework seen coming to the rad. I am fitting a TRV on one side but am not sure which is the flow and return. What is the best tip to tell which is which? I'm thinking turn the system on and see which pipe warms up first. Any other ideas?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking turn the system on and see which pipe warms up first. Any other ideas?
Cheers

That usually does the trick. The other way is to buy a bi-directional TRV then it won't matter.

Will not matter as the new TRV should be bi directional and can go on either end. :D

Sponsored Links
I need to replace an old rad with a new one. The existing one has two identical very old looking lockshield valves on either side. There is very limited pipework seen coming to the rad. I am fitting a TRV on one side but am not sure which is the flow and return. What is the best tip to tell which is which? I'm thinking turn the system on and see which pipe warms up first. Any other ideas?
Cheers

might have two lock sheild valves for a reason ,you haven't a room stat in the same room as the rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back