1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Radiator problem - may be return valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by SteveSmithBris, 7 Dec 2017.

1. SteveSmithBris

SteveSmithBris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I've got a radiator which is not heating up. My first thought was to bleed it, but when I do that water consistently comes out under pressure - there's no air. I think that means water must be flowing into the radiator OK in order to maintain the pressure, so my assumption is that the fault is the return valve (or whatever it's called, the bit where water flows out!). Does that sound right?

If so what should I do to that valve to fix the problem? I've attached a photo of it.

Many thanks,

Steve. DSC_0178.JPG

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    no you assume wrong, you will have to close each valve one at a time , then do as you tested open the bleed valve and see if you have a continuous flow, if you have a faulty valve you will not get a continuous flow with only that valve open, the water will come out regardless of flow or return so that is why you have to close one then open it again then do the same with the other

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What type of valve on the other side of rad ,is it a TRV ? Might be the pin stuck if its a TRV.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. SteveSmithBris

SteveSmithBris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, not a TRV. I was assuming the main "in" valve must be OK if there's pressure in the radiator.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As ianmcd stated above water enters from both sides , when pump is operating water flows in / out the rad. If you close that valve make a note of how many revolutions it needs to close ( or part revolutions ) as you will need to return it to its original position ,in order to maintain balance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hot&Cold

Hot&Cold

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The picture in #1 the butchered spindle would need some consideration,is it fully open ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DH6

DH6

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That valve looks closed to me

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That valve needs replacing, I would be fitting a TRV as it looks like it was too hot and someone attacked it with a pair of grips.

Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links