Radiator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radiator problem.

I have followed everything in the FAQs apart from draining the system and taking off the radiator. I would like to top up the cleaning fluid but I don't have a clue where to put it in the system?? I have checked the TRV and my lockheads are not lockable they turn freely. I have turned off the system and then all the rads but the cold one and then turned the system back on and that hasn't helped.

Also to find the problem for my cold rad I have lifted floor boards and the pipes are cold all the way to the next rad (the cold one is the last one in the system and furthest from the combi boiler). I think having read many of these posts now that it must be sludge in the system, but being a total novice I'm not confident in my prognosis.

Can anyone give me any clues as what to do next?

Sponsored Links
I wasn't trying to hijack I was saving forum space and abuse for posting a new question with another one two spaces below it??

you don't get abuse for posting it

you get abuse for causing confusion when two people are asking different questions on the same thread :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hmm,

I think it is 15mm pipe work but i'm at work now so I can't check untill tonight.

will the pipe size make a difference then?

you get abuse for causing confusion when two people are asking different questions on the same thread :rolleyes:

a) does it really matter to you that much that you have to comment? If it really bothers blankface, that much then I am sorry to him.

b) if you read it, it isn't a different question it is exactly the same, I have just expanded on it a bit.

If you're confident the TRV pin isnt stuck in, try turning off all the other rads, shutting valve on one end will do.

Run heating, you might be lucky and find the obstruction shifts and the far rad gets hot. Once you're satisfied its hot, turn others back on. If the furthest goes cold again afterwards, try balancing the system, look in FAQ's for instructions.
If this doesnt work its either a stubborn air lock or other blockage, rad would probably need to be removed to flush pipes out.

If you're confident the TRV pin isnt stuck in, try turning off all the other rads, shutting valve on one end will do. Run heating, you might be lucky and find the obstruction shifts and the far rad gets hot. Once you're satisfied its hot, turn others back on. If the furthest goes cold again afterwards, try balancing the system, look in FAQ's for instructions. If this doesnt work its either a stubborn air lock or other blockage, rad would probably need to be removed to flush pipes out.

yeah I've tried that but no luck. I guess it's time to call in a pro now.

Another part to the problem, the presure just keeps dropping in the system now. Every day it drops from 2bar to 0.2bar?? does this help anyone diagnos the problem??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back