Radiator Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into our house having done a lot of work to the house. One of the works was an entire re-plumb including a brand new heating system (pipes, boiler, rads etc). I am learning about the place all the time and recently I noticed some of the rads furthest from the boiler needed bled. It is a big house and there are about 18 rad in the place. Having bled them I noticed that the lowest 6" of the rads were not as hot as the top. They did get warmer after the system was running for a bit and they did get warm ok, but not HOT like the top of the rads. I am panicking that it is a sludge build up already! On the other hand I am not an expert and don't remember ever paying that much attention to the temp at the bottom of a rad. So for those in the know do rads realistically always get a bit hotter at the top due to heat rising or have I something else to consider like there may be sludge or the system is not properly balanced.

I let the system run for about 20 mins at about 23 degrees on the Honeywell Wireless so I hope that was long enough to get to temp ( the rads had been on prior to me cranking the temp up so it was not from cold to 23 in 20 mins).

Plumber out tomorrow to look a bit of snagging, so, I was hoping for some advice before he arrives so he doesn't just fob me off.

Many thanks for reading this.

Sponsored Links
What additional info do you need? I may be making a mountain out of a molehill here. The bottom of the rad was certainly not cold but it took much longer to warm than the top. After they had been running for a while the top we nearly too warm to touch and the bottom was warm but you could keep you hand on it. As I said maybe that's the way all rads are and I have not looked in this detail before.

Boiler?
Boiler Output?
House Heatloss?
System Type?
Controls?
TRV's?
Has installer had a chance to balance the system yet?
By-Pass fitted?

Sponsored Links
Baxi Duo Tec 40HE condensing Combi. Heat loss is ok, old house with some original single glazed sash windows so never going to be v efficient. TRVs everywhere bar where the Honeywell wireless stat is. No idea of he balanced nor about by pass - I will ask. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back