Radiator question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a leaking radiator, and it is switched off. We are not going to use it. I just wanted to ask would this radiator leak affect the boiler pressure, even if the leaking radiator is switched off? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Does that mean turned off at both ends? I'm not good with plumbing terms!

Sponsored Links
Doesn't work like that in the long term.

Static water sat in a steel container open to air is only going to cause grief down the line as it breaks down.

Best to either fix the leak (easy enough if its on the connections, have a go yourself)
Or, remove it and blank off the plumbing.

They are not expensive (Well, mostly). And can be replaced by a reasonable DIyer.

If the leak is on the radiator valve before isolating then yes it’ll affect the pressure.

How often should you bleed radiators? Two of my ones that I always use in the winter, you can hear the occasional water noise from them, like a dripping tap inside, only for a few seconds. Not the one that is leaking, we haven't used that for almost a year

How often should you bleed radiators? Two of my ones that I always use in the winter, you can hear the occasional water noise from them, like a dripping tap inside, only for a few seconds. Not the one that is leaking, we haven't used that for almost a year

My system, when it has been (rarely) drained, or worked upon - can take a few weeks of regular bleeding afterwards, to get all the air out. After that, it never needs bleeding again. If it needs regular bleeding, then it suggests something is amiss.

The 'amiss' could be the pump sucking in air, via a vent pipe on an open vented system, or hydrogen being formed as a result of the steel radiators rusting internally, due to lack of inhibitor in the system. Those hydrogen bubbles, mixed in with the water, can potentially cause a bit of water flow noise, and of course the need for regular bleeding.

The plumber came out and isolated disconnected the radiator. He left the radiator where it was, but its still dribbling.

Dribbling from where, the open ends?

I see what you mean now. He turned something with a spanner. I assume that was the valves. One of the ends is still dripping, but much less. He did let out two large bowls of water, and then he sent me off to check the boiler pressure, which hadn't gone down at all while he was getting two bowls of water out of the radiator. My mother asked if removing the radiator would cost less, than getting a new one, but he didn't remove it. It is still there, just completely turned off now instead of connected and leaking. Its still dripping, but I'm hoping it will stop as there shouldn't be any water still in

Reactions: CBW
If it’s just the radiator and it’s disconnected from the valves and the valves aren’t leaking, then yes it should eventually stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back