Radiator quickie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one,

to fit a new radiator in my bathroom, is all I need to do theoretically??

Tee off from the flow and return from another nearby radiators pipework and into the new rad (via isolating valves to give me time to get it right)???

It is 8mm microbore by the way if that make any difference

and also was thinking of freezing the pipes rather than draining down due to no lower draincock.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can tee into the heating circuit BUT as its 8mm pipe I would be tempted to drain off the ch system and solder the pipework as 8mm is so small and the pipe is soft you have a bigger chance of the joint leaking if overtightened on a compression fitting....maybe going to either 10mm/15mm

Vinny

Personally I wouldn't tee into existing 8mm pipe work. I would go back to the manifold or tee into the nearest 15mm pipe work.

Ok

thanks for the advice on not teeing into 8mm

I have found two pipes coming from the manifolds which I could potentially use for the radiator.

However at the inflow manifold I have four pipes coming out and when the CH is switched on only three get hot. The fourth is one of these pipes that I discovered.

The other manifold is obviously the return flow and one of the discovered pipes terminates here

At the other end of these pipes is a valve.

How come one of them is not getting hot when I turn on the CH, after all it is coming out the same manifold, or do I need to turn the valve on or something??

does this make sense? to simplify

there has obviously been a rad in the bathroom at some stage but now it seems the pipes are locked off in a valve.

if I remove the valve and terminate the pipes at a radiator should all be ok????

Sponsored Links
Can't see any reason why not. Make sure you use a bi-directional TRV on the bathroom rad if you cannot determine which pipe is flow or return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back