Radiator Refitting / Balancing help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.

I think i need to try and balance my radiators but none of the valves have covers on them. They are all quite warm ( possibly too warm ) except the front room which doesnt seem as hot as it could be, i've bled them all. Its an old 2 up 2 down terraced house and is crap at keeping heat.

The boiler seems to be firing every few minutes regardless of the thermostat temp, not a roomstat, just a dial on the front of the boiler under the fire.

The boiler is a Corgi back boiler downstairs in the front room, probably 15 years or more old. It seems to feed upstairs so i think the rad in the front room ends up being the furthest away from the boiler as the pipes to that come from upstairs.

I keep reading guides that talk about balancing using the the LSV i.e lockshield valve and how i can identify this with the cover you cant turn , but as i dont have covers .......

I understand the flow side will be the side that pipe heats up 1st and the return after, so i can manage that i think, but is the Lockshield therefore on the Flow or Return side.

I also have a rad to refit in the bathroom after plastering , and dont want to introduce air into the system if i can help it, do i only open the flow side with the bleed screw open so it pushes out all air etc.

Also i have a rad downstairs in the kitchen , if i turn both valves off, neither pipe either side gets hot, whereas the rad in the bathroom , i can feel one pipe is hot all the time.

Does that sound a bit odd to anyone, would you expect one side to get hot when the CH is turned on, or it is because the Rad in the kitchen is further away from the boiler. (again the pipes to that come from upstairs)

Really appreciate anyones help.

Sponsored Links
Hi Neil Your lockshield valve and your on/off valves are one and the same. The on/off has a knob and the lockshield has a cover. AS you know lockshields are normally on outlet side of radiator (return).

You won't introduce air in the system by replacing a radiator, cause the air in the radiator aint going to go anywhere, other than out through the bleed valve.

I've bled radiators with just one valve open and one valve closed then alternated it. Just confirms there were no blockages or restrictions on 'flow' or 'return'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back