Balancing a system with lock shield on outlet

Yes, they are all now plumbed in with the inlet opposite corner to bleed valve. They also have simply valves like you’d fit to towel rails as I was told TRVs could be problematic. So they’ve all been drained, off the wall, and dumped out a lot of clear water so I really don’t think they’re blocked.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are all now plumbed in with the inlet opposite corner to bleed valve…..
No, I meant that some tall rads have an inlet and an outlet and must be fitted the correct way round - something to do with internal baffles to direct the flow correctly.

Ok, the instructions state the bleed valve must be the opposite side to the inlet. And the valve is fixed, as is the blank, so must be correct way round.

Ok, the instructions state the bleed valve must be the opposite side to the inlet. And the valve is fixed, as is the blank, so must be correct way round.
As you have already been advised, that has nothing to do with if they have a baffle fitted, if they have they should have a sticker saying flow, standard rads the flow can go to either end , but sme column rads are specific and the flow must go to the correct end

Sponsored Links
(instruction manual says:)

VERY IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE: WHEN CONNECTING THE PIPEWORK TO THE RADIATOR, THE WATER MUST ENTER THE RADIATOR AT THE BOTTOM CORNER DIAGONALLY OPPOSITE THE AIR VENT AND EXIT AT THE BOTTOM CORNER BELOW THE AIR VENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try opening the lock shields up. When the downstairs rads are all flowing hot, start cracking open the upstairs ones and see what happens. Sounds like the system isn’t balanced to me.

I think you have to do it via the programme but if you’re not sure, I wouldn’t touch it if I were you - perhaps get an engineer round.
:censored:

I found with mothers house TRV on feed lock shield on return worked well, but when the TRV is fitted to return the radiator tends to get hot before any heat gets to TRV so more likely to over shoot, but still works.

I set temperature on TRV and if exceeded closed lock shield a little, and if not reaching set point open a little, but to that I had electronic heads which showed on the PC target and current, not so easy if using mechanical TRV heads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back