balancing ch system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can a ch system be balanced if the radiators had the trvs and lockshield valves on the wrong pipes? the trv and lsvs are bidirectional (flow both ways)? thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, they can. Some TRVs also have a balancing function built in to them

can a ch system be balanced if the radiators had the trvs and lockshield valves on the wrong pipes? the trv and lsvs are bidirectional (flow both ways)? thanks
As long as the TRVs are bidirectional (usually shown by two arrows at right angles on the body), it does not matter which end the TRV goes on a radiator. Balancing just means adjusting the flow though the rad; and as the water going is just passing through the rad, it does not matter which end the LS valve goes.

Balancing a system with TRVs can be tricky if you don't know what you are doing. Read How to balance a CH system.

thanks i had a read of the guide. i have a few questions regards the running of the ch system. the boiler is britony combi 100 i have been watching my boiler and ch system and found the following

1. what are the row of lights on the front of the boiler ?not the power on burner on, flame lockout lights, the row on the left to it? when the lights drop to 1 or 2 leds the burner light comes on and gas meter spins then the row of light go up to the top (all lit) then burner light stops and gas meter stop. this is happening all the time non stop cycle when in ch mode is this normal?

2 when measuring the temperature on radiators whilst balancing the rads the temperature goes up then back down then back up etc. i imagine when the burner is running its flowing hotter water. is this normal?

3 if answer to 2 is normal how does one record the temperature as its varying?or when does one record it

thanks ps using a infrared thermometer

Sponsored Links
what are the row of lights on the front of the boiler ?not the power on burner on, flame lockout lights, the row on the left to it? when the lights drop to 1 or 2 leds the burner light comes on and gas meter spins then the row of light go up to the top (all lit) then burner light stops and gas meter stop. this is happening all the time non stop cycle when in ch mode is this normal?
There is no mention of the lights in the Britony 100 Manual, though they are shown in all the drawings! My guess is that they are supposed to show what the boiler is doing.

2 when measuring the temperature on radiators whilst balancing the rads the temperature goes up then back down then back up etc. i imagine when the burner is running its flowing hotter water. is this normal?

3 if answer to 2 is normal how does one record the temperature as its varying?or when does one record it
You need to set the room temperature to a higher setting than normal, say 25C or more, so the boiler keeps running all the time at full output and the water temperature remains constant.

Which make/model boiler do you have and which time and temperature controls?

boiler c&m britony combi 100, timer danfos old school 103 and room stat honeywell. the lights vary depending on the temperature set at boiler so they must have something to do with that. when balancing i did not let the system cool down nor did i check which order they are served in. i did have the boiler temp on full and all trvs on full and all lsv fully open and room stat on full. i started with the hottest one which was downstairs back room then downstairs front room, then upstairs box and finally bathroom. there are 3 more rads i need to put back on the system i will do that after i have decorated the rest of the house. the boiler is upstairs above the downstarirs back room. maybe i might get consistant result if i let it run from cold ? i cant imagine though. i did somemore biler watching perhaps if i read the temp after the biurner goes out and temp stablises (after top 2 lights go out?

boiler c&m britony combi 100, timer danfos old school 103 and room stat honeywell.
They won't cause any problems - the boiler is not the modulating type.

When balancing i did not let the system cool down nor did i check which order they are served in.
You need to let the system heat up from cold so you can determine the order in which they heat up. If you adjust the rads in a random order, you will have problems as adjusting one at the beginning of the chain after one further down the chain will affect the one adjusted first. If you adjust them in order you will minimise this.

i did have the boiler temp on full and all trvs on full and all lsv fully open and room stat on full.
That's good.

Your boiler has an anti-cycling device which may be the cause of the problem. When the boiler reaches max temperature it will shut down and wait for three minutes before starting up again. It also has pump over run, which means the pump will continue to run for three minutes after the room thermostat is satisfied.

If the boiler thermostat is turning the boiler off before the room thermostat operates, try turning the boiler temperature down a bit.

there are 3 more rads i need to put back on the system
There's no point trying to balance an incomplete system!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back