Radiator size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just finishing a room in which everything has been stripped back to nothing. The VERY old single panel radiator has gone and i'm wanting to know what size to get for the replacement. The old one was very large, I believe 600x1800, without going and measuring.

The room has a large bay window, will be carpeted over floorboards, has just had a log burner installed, but in general is a fairly chilly room at times. We dont want to reply purely on the burner, so want to make sure the right radiator in installed.

The room is 3.8. x 4.8m. One radiator only and ideally could do without it pertruding too much.I am unsure if to get a type 21/22, or the plus. I am thinking a 600x1400 at this stage.

Do you have any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
You give no info on wall construction or outside walls or ceiling height or location.

Assuming 9" solid walls 8ft 6in ceilings ,a rough calc would be 8 - 10k btu depending on 1 or 2 o/w.

Cavity 7 - 9 k.btu………..if you are metric divide by 3412 !!
Was the old rad sufficient ?

I do apologise.

The walls are solid brick and plastered, with the ceiling 2.6m. 2 walls to the oustide.

Unfortuanatly we dont know how the old rad suited as the valves were seized shut and it had to go ready for the plastering etc.

Thanks.

Mike.

It will also be dependant on the usage of the log burner.

I presume the stove is a dry one and your rads are heated by gas or oil.

Sponsored Links
yes it is a wood burner and rads are gas. we will use the log burner every so often but dont want to reply on it for heating the room.

A 1600 T22 would be my choice about 9.5 k btu or 2.7 kw if you prefer.

With a TRV fitted of course. I take it that the pipes are 15mm.

Where is the room stat? If in that room, you shouldn’t have a TRV.

What would it be like if the stove wasn’t lit and the stat was in the same room as the rad with the TRV?

What would it be like if the stove wasn’t lit and the stat was in the same room as the rad with the TRV?

If the radiators on the system are all correctly sized for their respective heat loss…..Then when the design temperature is reached in one room the others should also be correct
It would be stupid to have a Room stat in the same space as a stove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back