Strange size radiators..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I want to replace two old radiators in the coldest room in the house. It has three external solid brick walls.

Right now the room is 5m x 6m in size. Pretty Big!

It has two dual layer radiators but with no convectors in the middle. They are both 115cm x 54cm in size.

I can't find any modern replacements that come that size. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Wow, you are good. That is EXACTLY what they are?!

They have no convectors inside. Should I replace them with taller ones of same width that have convectors?

We simply can't get the room warm right now and there is a tonne of insulation above.

Yes you could do, no guarantee they will still be big enough if the room is cold but might as well while you're at it.

Sponsored Links
Well according to an online calculator I used the room needs about 15000 BTU. The taller ones with dual convectors should improve things.

It's just a shame we can't afford to use the heating anyway!

Are you replacing the rads because they don't heat the room properly. If this is the reason, you need to buy rads that are sized to the heat requirements of the room, not just ones that are the closest fit. If the current rads aren't up to it, ones the same size that you have now but with fins in the middle might not be enough. Do the maths -

http://www.radcalcs.com/

So, if for example the calculator says you need 12,000 BTU to heat the room, you will need two 6,000 BTU rads.

If you need to replace with similar sized rads as you have at present, you can get either a 700(H) X 1000(L) mm or a 600 X 1000mm double rad. They will be 150mm (15cm) shorter than you have now, but you can get telescopic valve tail extensions to bridge the gap between pipe/valve and the rad.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...+Radiator+Valve+Tail+Short/d230/sd2762/p60027

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back