Replacing Radiator - Strange Size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dual panel radiator in my bedroom is about 23 years old. It works fine but the bleed screws are rounded off and impossible to remove (unless anyone has any bright ideas! Central heating guy who put my new boiler in couldn't budge them) - so it looks like it's time to replace the radiator because otherwise I can't bleed the system properly.

Radiators seem to come in standard sizes with 100mm increments - 900 x 500, 1000 x 600, 1100 x 600, etc.

My radiator (measuring just the "white bit") is 1090mm x 620mm. Is this a non-standard size? If I ordered a 1100mm x 600mm replacement, would a plumber be able to make it fit? Or do I need to find the precise size (presumably the 620 vs 600 doesn't much matter - it's all about the 1100 vs 1090)?

The two water pipes coming out of the floor are about 118cm apart, FWIW.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-2176.JPG
    IMG-2176.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
I would have gone for 1000 and used extensions to the valves. 1100 might be too tight for the existing pipework unless you make the hole in the floor bigger to lose the 20 mm difference.

if pipe centres are 1180mm you will be struggling as usually need 1190 to allow for valve .
Might get it in if there is bit of play on pipes or by using these valves as they are a bit smaller
As Dp says though you might have been better going smaller and using extensions to save possible additional cost of altering pipework

Sponsored Links
stick a pic up of your bleeds if you can are they on the back of the rad by any chance ?

stick a pic up of your bleeds if you can are they on the back of the rad by any chance ?

Bit tricky to take a photo of because of where it is, but I've had a go.

Quite badly rounded off. The radiators are all 2 panel affairs and the bleed screws are at the top of each panel, facing inwards towards the opposite panel. This is one of the better ones!

Attachments

• IMG-2182.JPG
    IMG-2182.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-2181.JPG
    IMG-2181.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 47

Attachments

• IMG-2182.JPG
    IMG-2182.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-2181.JPG
    IMG-2181.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 38

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back