Radiator Sizing Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having received loads of useful advice before on here, I thought I would ask again.

I would be interested to know what size of radiators one would advise for the following room (living Room):

L = 5.4m, W=4.5m, H=2.4m.

Room Characteristics:
Solid concrete floor carpeted
Lounge incorporates the Stairs
1 window which is approx. 1m x 1m
2 External walls
Doors at one end to Kitchen and other to porch and downstairs W/C
Current 2 radiators at each end of the room are 1.2m x 0.5m single with Fins.
Wall Stat at bottom of the stairs

The reason I ask is that all other rooms seem temp comfortable way before the lounge (being the biggest room). Radiators are balanced so that lounge radiators heat up at same rate as the rest of the radiators.

Sponsored Links
Is it a prison with such a large room and only a 1m x 1m window>

A concrete floor may be a great heat loss if uninsulated or a small heat loss if insulated with 100 mm of Kingspan!

I would probably guess at 2.5 kW distributed across the room.

But I would probably measure it by applying 2 kW of electric heater and see what temp rise that produces compared with the outside!

Tony

Is it a prison with such a large room and only a 1m x 1m window>

!

Tony
:LOL: You`re jumping the gun - they haven`t closed the prisons yet , but it was announced earlier this week . Can`t wait for the new Superprison to be built - Bring it to Sussex - then we`ll all have some building work :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks agile for your response. Yes window definitely bigger than that. I have calculated currently as about 1.9 kw in total for the radiators.

Thinking about replacing 1 radiator for double still to get additional output, don't want to go too far.

Online calculators say between 3 and 3.5 kw. I was thinking of aiming towards agiles suggestion of 2.5 kw max

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back