TRV or Not TRV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm currently looking at installing TRV's on my rads.
I just want to check that I'm doing things correctly.

I am planing to fit TRV's to all bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. However I cannot decide on downstairs.

I have an open plan lounge / diner, the stairs are in the lounge and kitchen at the back of the house. The room stat is at the diner end of the room near to a radiator, I was Not going to fit a TRV here, but not sure if I should fit a TRV at the lounge end of the room or not?
Also would you bother putting them in the W/C and in the porch?

Hope the image helps!

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy,
Just wasn't sure as both rads are technically in the same room.

Cheers
Ads

I would not fit a TRV to either of the rads in the room with the room stat. The two spaces are effectively 'in contact' and with one rad shut down from a TRV the other may never get the room hot enough for the stat to operate.

Sponsored Links
Warning: TRVs are a waste of money if you have a wife installed in your house; she will simply turn them all up full then nip out and turn up the hall thermostat to 22 degrees. Don't waste your money until you have uninstalled the wife.

Thanks guys. Luckily no wife so that makes things simpler. :D
The downstairs always seems to be hotter than upstairs anyway. So my thinking is if I fit one it might even things up a bit.
But wasn't sure if thats the right way to do things as the rooms are connected.

Defo fit them on the kitchen, porch and loo.

Don't fit one on the one near the room stat, it's up to you if you fit one to the other one.

If it were me, i would. You might as well as the system is drained down and only cost a few quid.

Thanks Guys,
I think I will fit one, worst case I will turn it right up.
I'm trying to do everything while it is drained down as I have a few old lockshield valves which have seen better days plus an occasional sticky 3 port valve.

While I am at it I will remove the rads downstairs and hose them out too, I done the upstairs last year when I put a new rad in when fitting the bathroom. Just need to order everything now. :)

Obviously new inhibitor will go in, but is it worth spending the extra on Fernox or sentinal rather than the cheaper stuff toolstation sells?

Cheers
Ads

Ive used the cheap stuff, they say you don't need it when the system is air free anyway.

Thanks. Mine isn't a sealed system but doesn't seem to get much air anyway. I probably bleed the rads about 3 times a year. Not much comes out. I'll use the cheap stuff and put a bottle in every year or so. Can't hurt can it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back