Radiator sound- water flowing?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

The one positive of the lockdown is that it has given me plenty of time to attempt to sort out niggling house problems.

Hopefully we won't need the heating on for much longer but I have a bit of a issue with a double radiator downstairs. Whenever the heating is on I can literally hear the water flowing into/through the radiator. It's not too loud but it is noticeable.

I bled all the rads recently and tried again today and no air came out. The boiler was replaced recently and the system was drained down. It's been doing it for a while (before the new boiler)- any ideas why and the best way to stop it would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Open up the exit lockshield valve slightly. You may need a pair of pliers or the cap from the other side to turn it.

Open up the exit lockshield valve slightly. You may need a pair of pliers or the cap from the other side to turn it.

that seems to have done the trick. The valve was way open and so I had to turn it 4-5 times to close it and then half a turn to re open it. I can still hear it a little but much reduced

Sponsored Links
that seems to have done the trick. The valve was way open and so I had to turn it 4-5 times to close it and then half a turn to re open it. I can still hear it a little but much reduced
(y) I had the same with my bedroom rad. Used to wake us up at 5.30 in the morning when the heating came on. I opened the inlet to max and the outlet just enough to keep the noise down to an acceptable level.

I thought these are set to balance the system?

Only if there are problems with the system. If all of the radiators heat up ok there is not really any balancing required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back