Radiator tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When preparing a towel radiator for installation I found that whilst one of the tails screws in perfectly the other is "slack" and no amount of PTFE tape will effect a leak free seal. I am no plumber but a) could I have the tail brazed to the radiator body to effect a seal or b) Could the offending thread be drilled and tapped to a bigger dia if suitable tail adaptors were available

Grateful for any assistance

jimmy4legs

Sponsored Links
Based on what you have said, if correct, then either the tail or the tapping is under/oversized.

Do you realise that most rad valve tails need 11 turns of standard PTFE tape?

Many professionals use gas tape!

Tony

..... It i not unusual for towel rails to have faulty threads a certain catologue supplier gets a lot of returns

..... It i not unusual for towel rails to have faulty threads a certain catologue supplier gets a lot of returns

I have a similar problem. I wouldn't say the joint is slack, but each time I fit it, it has a trickle leak. I have tried PTFE tape (10 turns) and Fernox LX - neither of which have been successful. I have a Thames towel rail.
Could it be that the thread in the towel rail is bad? Or that the radiator tail is bad?

Sponsored Links
Also is there a way of telling whether the rad or the rad tail is the bad item out of the two?? I'm assuming the only way is to change one at a time, but that is a right pain :( I might see if the shop that sold me the rad has a pressure testing kit.

Take the tail that fits ok and try it in the other side of the towel rad.

If it fits ok one side but not the other, the rad is duff.

If it fits the same both sides, try doing the same with the other tail. This should give you your answer.

Now I've just realised that this thread is an ancient hijack :rolleyes:

Random, you should have started a new thread!

OK will do that in future.
I spoke to the person I bought the rad off & he said to use locktight 45. I'm going to take the rad into the shop & he is going to do it for me to save me having to buy some :)
I'll get him to swap the tails at the same time & if it still leaks it should prove if its the tail or the rad. The tail in question will actually keep going past the flush point - i.e. would go into the rad if I kept going. I assume this is OK & I just need to stop at about the flush point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back