Radiator Tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure whether to post here or in Tools/Materials but here goes. Can anyone suggest a way of tightening radiator tails without using a radiator tail spanner? I need to change a leaking valve on one of my radiators but can't tighten the new tail up and the speciliast spanners are a bit pricey for a one off job?? I've fitted TRV valves elsewhere and the tails for them all had an external hexagonal section so could be tightened with a normal spanner but the stand valve i've bought doesn't have this.

Do i have any option but to fork out for a new tool??

Sponsored Links
Surely you're not talking about the rad tail allen key worth a couple of quid are you?

Surely you're not talking about the rad tail allen key worth a couple of quid are you?

I wasn't - wasn't aware of their existance - i was talking about a 'multi size radiator key' which says its for fixing radiator tails - starting at £21 and up. Will have a look for the tail allen key and if they're a couple of quid - thats my problem solved. Thank you for highlighting my ignorance - knew there must be a more basic tool for the job!!

Sponsored Links
either to go a plumbers merchants or car repair shop you will get a 1/2" allan key there

Except they're 12mm not 1/2"

I bought a 12mm hex socket from a car shop, fits my 1/2"ratchet :cool:

£21.00 :eek: was that for a Rotten Bugger one (rothenburger)

If you are stuck tighten the tail on to the valve then turn the valve to screw it in. If it slips it is not tight enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back