Radiator thermostat valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
After speaking to the installer of my central heating system, thermostat valves on radiators are abit of a con, because they only really work on setting 3 and above, on setting 1 or 2 they are really turned off. Is this true?

Thanks[/code]

Sponsored Links
Trust me in Scotland they come on at 1 or 2 until the room gets up to temperature.

I'm not expert but i thought 1 was warm, 2 abit warmer, 3 abit warmer then 2, 4 abit warmer then 3, 5 hot. He also said its got a small plastic pellet in, which melts, nothing gets past the valve until the water is hot enough to melt the pellet, is that true or is it like a tap that restricts the flow of the water?

Sponsored Links
So i gather by your response the plastic pellet thing is a load of crap, is it like a tap and restricts the water flow?

What is the tap on the other end of the rad for? Its got - <----> + 10bar on the top.

In the handle of the valve there is a wax or liquid capsule that expands or contract with temperature change.

The number you set it to is where the mechanism starts off. High number = higher up. As the temp goes up is expands and pushes a pin, which pushes the valve down into its seating and shuts off the flow through the rad.

The valve on the other side is a balancing valve that helps all the rads work evenly.

I'm not expert but i thought 1 was warm, 2 abit warmer, 3 abit warmer then 2, 4 abit warmer then 3, 5 hot. He also said its got a small plastic pellet in, which melts, nothing gets past the valve until the water is hot enough to melt the pellet, is that true or is it like a tap that restricts the flow of the water?
:eek: :LOL:

Like I tell all of my customers,
'make sure you know where your mains stopcock is and that it is working, test it every 6 months!'

Andy

What is the tap on the other end of the rad for? Its got - <----> + 10bar on the top.
It’s a lockshield valve. Along with the TRV it allows you to isolate the radiator from the system so it can be removed without draining the whole system.
It also facilitates balancing the system.
Maximum pressure 10 bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back