RADIATOR VALVE PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MY RADIATOR VALVE TAP AT THE METAL SCREW PART HAS SHEARED OFF AND NOW I CAN'T TURN OFF THE RADIATOR I KNOW I WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE VALVE BUT CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A WAY TO TURN OFF THE VALVE I DON'T WANT TO FREEZE THE PIPE WORK YET IF POSSIBLE.

Sponsored Links
I assume you refer to the valve spindle - the part turned down by the wheel head? If it sheared that would suggest the valve is well and truly seized and not alot is going to budge it.

The easiest option, considering the fact that you need to replace this valve and others are likely to be seized as well, would be to drain down and change all your rad valves while you have the opportunity!

PS No need to SHOUT! ;)

Is there enough spindle left for you to lock on with mole grips?

If so, then loosen the gland nut (if it has one), and squirt some WD40 down the spindle, and gently wiggle the spindle back and forth to try and get it moving.

May I ask why you don't want to freeze and replace (or indeed just drain and replace)? After all, it's the perfect time of year. And if you live in Tewesbury then you could just undo the valve on a downstairs rad and not bother catching the water. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back