Radiator valve

14 Sep 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently had a combi boiler installed, but the radiator in my daughters bedroom is make a noise (rattling pipes) after I've had the heating on for more than 30 minutes. On a couple of occasions I've bleeding the radiator and a lot of air come out, which seems to solve the problem. This morning the same thing happened rattling pipes so I turned the heating off to stop the noise. I bleed the radiator again but no air came out. I thing the twist valve(temp setting for the radiator) is faulty on radiator. It's either on but by twisting it a bit turns no hot water goes to the radiator. Can I just replace the twist valve that screws onto radiator feed or would I need to replace the t piece that links from the water to the radiator where twist valve screws onto?

Sponsored Links
The valve that you refer to is called a TRV a thermostatic radiator valve, newer ones are bi-directionall but older ones are direction specific it sounds like the valve is on the wrong way ,if you can , remove the sensor (adjustable head) and see if this cures the noise
See if there's an arrow on the valve, if it's directional then the arrow will only point one way, usually into the rad, if it's bi-direction the arrow will point both ways.
If it's only one way and that's pointing towards the rad then that is the pipe that needs to heat up 1st from cold. If it's pointing away from the rad then it needs to heat up last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links