Radiator Valve Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning on replacing a radiator valve. Is it essential that I replace the olive on the pipe valve connection?

Looks to me like there are risk in removing the olive e.g. damaging the pipe or the pipe being distorted. Are there any risks with just leaving the olive and nut on the pipe and attaching to the new valve?

Any thoughts would be gratefully appeciated.

Regards

Mike D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the post spacethe gas.

Does "no problem" mean that I can leave the olive on the pipe?

Regards

Mike D

there is always some risk either way, for example the threads may be different so replacing the nut and olive would be reqired, nut and olive may be in excellent condition and so not need changing. Experience is the key here but that cannot be explained.

Sponsored Links
Some fittings also differ in depth so the olive might not seal correctly.
An easy way to remove an olive is to carefully cut partly through the olive with a junior hacksaw at a 45 degree angle without cutting the thinner edges ( the olive is thicker in the center than its outer edges) Then insert a thin flat blade screwdriver into the slot and give it a twist, The olive should split and pop off. A bit of PTFE when re-fitting won't do any harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back