Radiator valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a following radiator and I would like to control heat from it. This is located on my main entrance. The valve at right side i am unable to control heat output from it.

I have attached picture of valve on left. The hot water is entering from left of the radiator.

I was wondering how to control the heat. Do I have to turn the left valve with screwdriver.

Do you think this is TRV on right?

Regards

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Lockshield valve on left, wheel head manual valve on right, neither control the heat.

In fact there are no valves that control the heat of a radiator. A Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) will turn the radiator off when the space reaches the desired setting, if that's what you mean.

You would need to fit a new TRV valve to the right hand side of your radiator.

The left is a lock shield and the right is a wheel head. Neither will regulate heat.

Best get a TRV

It’s possible that’s where the room thermostat is located, and that’s why a trv hasn’t been fitted.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for swift response.

Yes you are right. There is a thermostat fitted here..

Whats the purpose of the manual valve on the right then?

The reason i want to regulate heat is due to the fact the one of the radiators in the living room only mildly heats up (i believe its the last radiator) but by then the thermostat detects thats its already reached the desired temperature (due to the heater mentioned above). Hence I wanted to control this heater so my hallway does not get heat up quickly. Do you think I can do something else to control water flow to my last radiator.

Apologies if these questions are stupid but i don't know seriously.

Regards,

If your thermostat is to close to the Radiator, then it will switch off the heating because it thinks that the house has reached temperature.

The left hand valve is for balancing. but I would not touch any valve like this as they will more than likely leak if you do adjust them.

You could try turning the right hand valve all the way off, and then open up half a turn.

You could try turning the right hand valve all the way off, and then open up half a turn.

Id just get a plumber in and replace all the valves, move thermostat if need be and then balance if need be. Looking at the age of the valves Id say a Powerflush may not go a miss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back