Radiator valves under radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to fit this vertical radiator closer to the corner, but would need to leave a gap for the valve so there isn't really enough room.

PXL_20230105_144351373.jpg
PXL_20230105_144425628.jpg

Is there a compact double-elbow solution for mounting the radiator valves under the radiator, so I can move it closer to the corner? The 10mm Speedfit pipes will be coming down the wall behind it.

If not I'll have to put it nearer the bottom of the stairs, which I'd prefer to keep clear for future furniture removals etc.

Sponsored Links
I think my previous photos were a bit misleading.

Here I've aligned the radiator with the edge of the window frame, there's only about 33mm between radiator and the wall:

PXL_20230105_185056932.jpg
PXL_20230105_185130238.jpg

Checking with another radiator, I'd need a gap of at least 65mm to allow fingers to rotate the isolating valve.

Is there something like this available to take it straight down, then underneath to the valve?

elbow.jpg

elbow2.jpg

You could use:
1. A 1/2" x 15 mm chrome compression elbow such as BES 7625 PLUS
2. A short length of 15 mm chrome pipe.
3. A chrome 15 mm x 15 mm compression elbow. Screwfix 33526 might do, but I suspect its nickel plated not chrome. Toolstation do something similar - item 88121

If space allows you could use a 15 mm compression stem elbow instead of 2 and 3 above. The stem would have to be long enough to enter the compression end of item 1 above, and still allow the pipe to clear the underneath of the radiator.

Sponsored Links
1. Yes its the part.
2. Two ways of getting it correctly oriented:
2.1 Use Loctite 55. Gently rough up the threads on the BSP male threads (no the compression threads) with a file, and wind 10 to 15 wraps of the thread around and across the threads. Screw in tight. You can back it off up to about 1/3 of a turn to get the orientation correct. If not enough, remove fitting, remove all 55 and repeat with a couple more turns.
2.2 Use Flomasta Pipe Seal (Screwfix 4373J). Clean all the threads very thoroughly. I'd be tempted to file the chrome off the first three or four BSP threads of the fitting. Run a bead of seal around the first two threads and screw into radiator. Get the orientation correct in the first 10 seconds or so, then leave for about 30 minutes.
3. In theory it could be done with PTFE tape, but you have no real scope for altering the orientation and would have to keep repeating with more / less tape until correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back