Radiator zoning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm not doing this myself but would like some info for my plumber. New combi boiler and central heating system installation - I would like the downstairs and upstairs radiators to be independently controlled, and the stairway and bathroom radiators to work with both zones.

My plumber is not sure if/how this can be done as he has not been asked to do this before. In my simple layman mind a solution was to take the flow for these 2 radiators before the zone valves and so regardless of which zone calls for heat they will be heated. What am I missing?

Follow up question - can TRVs be fitted to either or both of these radiators? (There will be one radiator in both of the separate zones which will not have a TRV)

Related question - do I need one zoning valve or 2 for this set up? Or a 2 port valve?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ownstairs and upstairs radiators to be independently controlled

Easy

and the stairway and bathroom radiators to work with both zones.

Even Easier

My plumber is not sure if/how this can be done as he has not been asked to do this before.

Get another plumber!

Either use two zone valves and plumb the third zone in before either.

Or use Evohome

If the plumber can't figure it out, get another one because he sure as sh|t isn't going to be up to much with teh rest of the job.

Thanks Dan.

My plumber has already started. TBH he seems to be reliable and has been very helpful so far. I think he's just being on the cautious side. His main concern is how the 3rd zone will affect the flow to the other 2 zones when open. Is this just a case of balancing the radiators? Or does any specific attention need to be paid to how the zones are piped in - is any kind of manifold required/preferable?

Afraid I have to echo Dan's words here - if your man is confused by something as simple and basic as this then I certainly wouldn't want him in my house

Sponsored Links
Hmmm ... Thanks for your input muggles. Any practical advice about the questions I asked?

When I hired him I didn't have this zoning in mind but only mentioned it as an after thought. I was confident I had found the right man for the job - he worked for British gas for 20 years and sole trader for 15. He's WB approved and had 100% feed back from over 70 customers on my builder. He answered all my prior questions and concerns and visited the property 3 times before taking on the job.

All he's being asked to install is an S-plan plus, with a larger than usual bypass circuit.

Balance as normal.

Centrally Manifolded systems are great, but if he's struggling with the basic principles, then wiring that up is going to be well beyond him.

Being an WAI is no indication of quality. Just like the Which reviews if Wooshitter Botch ;)

Just means he's thrown enough boxes at the wall to satisfy their criteria. Which reviews being, WB slung enough money into the Which coffers and their advertising budget.

My builder reviews are probably placed soon after the job. Most problems arise months or years later.

He might be fine though ;)

Well he got there in the end! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for your input which I'm sure helped. Got another one for you guys :mrgreen: - Im not sure where to put the downstairs thermostat. It seems logical to put it in the coolest location and then TRV the other radiators, but then some have said to place in a central location in the house which is used most frequently. Options are:

1. Dining room - this area is open plan with kitchen and also bottom of the staircase, has the most natural sunlight and 2 radiators.

2. Lounge - this will be probably be the most commonly used room but will have at least an electric fire (maybe gas) in addition to the radiator.

3. Entrance - about 2-3m from the front door. Obviously coolest area and temperature will fluctuate more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back