Can a zone valve switch another zone valve on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a heating system with 2 zone valves, one for hot water cylinder and one for the radiators.
I would like to add a 3rd zone valve (controlled by a separate time control switch) for a heated towel radiator in the bathroom so in the summer months it can be heated to dry the towels.
I have a solar thermal hot water panel which heats the hot water tank in the summer so the boiler rarely fires up in the summer to heat the water cylinder.
I was planning on using the separate time switch to operate the 3rd zone valve at 9.30pm each night for 30 minutes to warm the towel radiator.
During the colder months the central heating would come on during the day/evening and this late 30 minute boost would not be required. I could then manually cancel the 9.30pm boost as the towel rail would already have been heated.
Is it possible for the towel rail 3rd zone valve to be operated by the heating zone valve i.e. when the heating comes on it automatically operates the towel radiator zone valve so that water can flow through both circuits?
Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, you'd connect the orange wire from the heating zone valve to the brown wire of the towel rail valve

I'm sure it will have been. Anyone who understands heating wiring will be able to sort it for you

Sponsored Links
Yes, you'd connect the orange wire from the heating zone valve to the brown wire of the towel rail valve

In which case the towel warmer valve will also open when the hot water cylinder valve is open because the orange wires from both the heating and hot water valves are connected.

It might not be an issue for you, but an isolating relay would prevent it. The relay coil would be connected to the heating motorised valve L & N and one of the relay contacts used to switch the towel rail motorised valve.

Not sure about the plumbing logistics of just running a towel warmer from the boiler in relation to maintaining a sufficient flow through it. One of our boiler experts would be better placed to advise on that.

Last edited:
It is possible to do, but you would need a boiler with a very low rurndown ratio, or you would be using a lot of wasted energy via the by-pass , have a look at oil filled towel warmers, they would work ot a lot less expensive to run and install

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back