Radiators heating up randomly - newly installed system help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My central heating developed a problem over the weekend (always happens on the coldest day of the year!) - I have been attempting to get hold of the engineer who installed it but no joy so far so thought I would seek advice on here..

Background.... I bought a 1920s house earlier in the year. Many of the radiators were in random places, pipe work shot to pieces (DIY bodge), and a horrendous DIY water cylinder with header tank in one of the bedrooms.

4 months ago I had all but two of the radiators replaced, new pipe work to the new locations, which linked into old pipework where this was reusable or where locations were not changing. A new (unvented I think?) water cylinder was installed downstairs, expansion vessel (red thing that says flexcon on the gauge) and some other stuff that I'm not entirely sure what it does. I retained the existing Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 conventional oil boiler which I was advised was working fine. I have a wireless Honeywell thermostat and all the radiators (apart from one) have TRVs.

System has a magna clean and was power flushed when installed so the water is fairly clean.

The heating was working very well for the first few months until yesterday...

All of the radiators downstairs were working fine, however only the bathroom radiator upstairs was working. The radiators in the 3 bedrooms were cold - there was hot water to the inlet pipes but not the radiators. I tried a few things...

I checked that the radiators didn't need bleeding. One of them downstairs did (which incidentally seems to need bleeding once a month?) All the others were fine (and when they do work they are hot all over).

I played around with the TRVs - closed and opened them in different configurations to see if that did anything... probably didn't..

I read on the internet that if I have an expansion vessel, the pressure could be low if upstairs radiators are cold. I recall when this was installed that the pressure was slightly over 1 bar - so I added some water to around 1.25 bar.

Still nothing...

Until this morning when the heating came back on - now 3 of the radiators upstairs are hot and one is luke warm.

Down stairs they were all hot initially then over time two of them appeared to cool down, whilst the others stayed hot.

So basically I seem to be playing roulette with the radiators at the moment. A few of them do appear to be hot regardless, but at least half can be hot one minute and cold the next.

Another issue I have noticed.... I have a Honeywell wireless thermostat. If I first set the heating to manual - say 22 degrees, it will switch on the boiler and heat up the radiators. As mentioned some radiators can get hot whilst others stay cold. Even if the thermostat is located in a room where the target temperature hasn't been reached - lets say 18 degrees, the boiler appears to switch off. Even increasing the target temperature to 24 or 25 degrees won't switch on the boiler.

I'm making a guess here could the setup has some sort of internal cut off at a certain temperature? but this isn't actually heating up all the radiators or rooms to that temperature. However I am clutching at straws......

Any ideas would be appreciated - I have a 15 month old son and have had to buy an electric radiator tonight to make sure his bedroom is warm in the meantime!

Thanks in advance
Robin

Sponsored Links
UPDATE!

So after posting this I read some other posts of sticking TRVs and I may have fixed the first part of my problem...

I didn't think the TRVs could be the problem initially - seeing as they are only 4 months old and were all working fine up until last weekend....

However as a test I thought I would remove the TRVs from the 4 radiators currently not working and hey presto - they all kicked into life.

So now I have a couple of different questions!

Is it normal for TRVs to develop problems so frequently or have I just been unlucky with 4 packing in? The TRVs are Bulldog Gen 2 if that means anything...

Second question - is there anything I can do to fix them? They all appeared to be lubricated inside and I can't really see why they are having problems

Finally - do I need to re-adjust the pressure in my expansion vessel as I increased this from just under 1 bar to around 1.25 bar

Still keen to hear views on why the wireless thermostat doesn't seem to switch on the boiler even if the target temp hasn't been reached in the room that the Thermostat is in...

Thanks
Robin

if you turn off all the hot ones, do the cold ones heat up?

Pressure is totally irrelevant.

When did you change the Wireless batteries?

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I think I've Sussed the reason why I'm having problems - I removed The TRVs from 4 radiators that were cold and they all kicked into life.

Considering they are only 4 months old - coincidence / bad luck or rubbish TRVs?

The wireless thermostat is also only 4 months old. Battery appears fine as I can switch off the boiler from anywhere in the house. But not been able to switch it on even if I increase the target temp to something crazy like 27 or 28.

Sponsored Links
Another thought I've had...

All the TRVs I removed were in the open position and had been for many months. Yet when I removed them the radiators kicked into life.

Could they be poorly fitting TRVs for the valves?

Bulldog are a cheap brand, but having 4 failing could indicate some external cause. Did you have them all turned low four months ago (in August)?
I think that the Plumb Cent

Your system seems to need balancing. There is a guide to this elsewhere on this site.re sell replacement heads for the Bulldog TRV; I suggest buying just one at first to see if it cures the fault before buying the rest.

Next summer turn the heating OFF and turn the TRVs to MAX.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back