Radiators in Parallel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system is installed in a relatively new house (8 years old) and was installed by the builders by a professional contract company and they have done a great job. The system is piped with 'plastic' Hepworth pipe with I think the Trade Name is HEP2O, sized 10mm OD x 6.5mm(approx) ID , using 'push fit' connectors. Now my Questions:-
1) I want to install an extra so called designer radiator of about 800W and the easiest way to do it is to install it in parallel with an existing radiator.
The existing radiator is of the conventional domestic double type manufactured by Myson and is 1100mm long by 600mm high. Is this parallel installation advisable due to the fact that the origin radiator is fed with such a small diameter pipe and my fear is that the new radiator will 'starve' the original radiator making it virtually useless. I intend usng Thermal Control valves with the new radiator similar to those used on all other radiators around the house. The pressure of the Central Heating circulating system is 1.5bar. Do you think this will be a problem or am I being over cautious.
2) Whilst contemplating this addition I questioned the long term durability of Plastic Central heating pipes but more specifically the rubber 'O' ring seal used in the 'Push On' connectors. My fear is that normal rubber deteriorates with time and heat. It may be these 'O' rings are not normal rubber, but my fear is how long are these seals expected to last. Has any guys out their any experience on the time before one can expect failure of these seals.
My past DIY experience has always been with Copper pipe systems and I personally prefer copper pipe but I have plastic pipes in the house as built.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back